Tuesday 6 March 2012

A trip down Oldham Street

Whilst being in Manchester, Oldham Street, Northern Quarter, has become one of my favourite places to wonder around when I've managed to ween myself away from my work. As those of you that may have visited this side of Manchester will know, it's full of vibrant, quirky cafes, music stores and vintage  boutiques, and can offer you an alternative to the bustle of the high street which is just a few minutes walk away. The alternative and artistic feel of the street is embraced very much so with multiple junk shop windows displaying a mish-mash of garments and accessories reflecting numerous eras. A few however show off their enviable creativity featuring simplistic yet eye-catching displays, my personal favourite being Retro Rehab with its statement clock watch display.


For those of you style hunters who are searching for a quick dash fashion fix, I wouldn't recommend this as your top destination. However give  yourself some time to rummage through the vintage treasures you can pick yourself up something that won’t be adorned by every girl on the high street, and not to mention discover some absolute bargains. I managed to find at least a few pairs of nearly-new Converse trainers for £15, which usually would set you back at least £40! My housemate has also been know to barter down the prices a bit, a definite advantage from not shopping in a chain store!


On the other hand though you will find stores like Junk, one of my favourite places for accessories, which will make you open your wallet a bit more for their Made-in-Manchester jewellery. However it's all in the name of sustainable fashion!    

If it's a bit of everything you're after, it's definitely worth popping into Afflecks Palace. Easily comparable to Camden Market with its random pop-up stores and concessions, you'll find anything from fancy dress, vintage sweets, jewellery making to tattoo parlours cased within the multiple floored building. However if you're looking to satisfy your sweet tooth, pop into one of the many cafes  and make sure you tuck into the tasty homemade cupcakes! 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for comenting on my blog! I will always take the time to reply as soon as I can! If you would like to ask me something directly, tweet me @fashionmixbag

Justine xx